When you run a business, you want it to be as efficient as possible. And nowhere is this more true than for businesses that rely on shipping and freight to get their products to their customers. If you are looking for the right cargo people suitable for your company and you are considering your options when it comes to freight forwarding, you need to know what services they offer, what factors you should consider and how to go about choosing the right partner for your business needs. So, with this in mind, let’s explore the answers to these questions in more detail below.
What services does a freight forwarding company offer?
If freight forwarding is a relatively new term to you, it’s worth knowing that it relates to a third-party that helps get your goods across borders effectively and efficiently whether through air or ocean freight services. As such, this partner can help you with:
- Negotiating better freight rates with different carriers
- Book the necessary space at the lowest cost with your chosen carrier
- Prepare your import and export documents for customs processing and clearance
- They can help consolidate smaller packages into a larger one, thereby reducing your shipping costs
- They can also help keep your insurance bills down because they’re better positioned to negotiate these rates with insurers
Overall, working with a freight forwarding company is fast, more affordable and more efficient.
What should you consider when choosing the right freight partner?
Now that you know what a freight forwarder does, it’s worth keeping in mind some factors to consider when you choose the right company to partner with. Here are a few of these to make your decision making process a bit easier:
- The total cost of shipping: remember that the transportation method you choose will play a big role in how much you are charged. You want maximum efficiency at the lowest possible price.
- The size and volume of goods: the size of your parcels also matters. So does their weight. Some carriers charge per volumetric weight instead. Therefore, it’s important to consider what you are sending abroad, through which means and how much this will add up to.
- Processing and paperwork: it’s undeniable that with air or sea cargo, you’ll need to fill out a lot of paperwork before your goods are sent abroad or released at their final destination due to customs regulations. Bear this in mind when shipping abroad.
- Speed and urgency of your shipment: sometimes, you want your goods to arrive at their final destination quite quickly. Bear in mind that courier services are most efficient in this regard as it can take them around two to four days as opposed to several weeks by ship. The time spent in transit is also important to consider and you need to weigh up the cost versus time factor to decide on the best option for you.
- Seasonal factors: for some products, there is greater seasonal demand than others. As such, you are expected to face delays during peak periods. Examples of these include Christmas. This is why you should anticipate in advance when your business will experience high levels of demand and try to cater to this prior to the actual peak.
- Congestion and delays: as with many things in life, there are sometimes unforeseen circumstances that one cannot predict. These can include strikes, weather, snowstorms in airports and others. As such, these can cause unexpected delays that you should be aware of.
- Type of product shipped: there are some regulations about what can and cannot be shipped abroad. For example, you can’t send radioactive materials on a passenger aircraft. To avoid costly delays with customs, ensure that your products can actually be shipped to their destination.
How to choose a freight service for your business
And now, with all those factors in mind, it’s time to consider the right freight service for your business. Here are a few key considerations that you should bear in mind as you make your final decision:
1. What services do they offer?
Here, you might consider aspects such as customs clearance and brokerage, export documentation, tracking, shipment consolidation, inventory management, warehousing, packing and crating, insurance, etc.
2. What is their customer service like?
Because shipping takes place 24/7/365, you need to ensure you can always track your packages and that you can get hold of customer service as and when you need them. Check that your freight forwarder has good customer service in place, while also offering you convenient options for reaching them.
3. What sort of industry experience do they have?
When it comes to experience, you don’t just want someone who is new to the industry with limited customer reviews and limited time offering their services. You need a reliable partner with a history of strong performance over the years. They need to be able to help you manage setbacks and delays, unforeseen circumstances and other aspects of your entire shipping process with ease and professionalism.
4. Do they have a reliable global network?
Having a reliable global network means consistency of service anywhere in the world. With this in mind, you need to check who your freight forwarder’s global partners are and look into their credentials as well to establish that you’ll get the right quality service you are paying for.
5. Do they have industry certifications?
Finally, look out for specialised training, security compliance, up-to-date certifications, references from customers and industry endorsements.
Need international shipping company ?
When you are looking for the right partner to help you ship your parcels abroad for business purposes, you can always rely on DRG Solutions to help you with any international shipments from Spain. With our extensive experience and global network of partners, we are among the most reliable international shipping companies in Barcelona. Simply get in touch with us for a high quality service and a thorough and professional experience. Our friendly and helpful team is ready to be of service to you.